About the business and the role
The prestigious Huntingdale Golf Club is known internationally and is well respected within the Australian golfing community. It has a strong membership base with a solid financial position. With a new modern Clubhouse and facilities, the Board of Directors is looking for a charismatic innovative General Manager to lead the team, oversee all the operations of the Club, liaison between the management and Board, and deliver a great experience for the Members.
The golfing industry is going through a period of uncertainty; as such, the new GM will be expected to understand the industry, its opportunities and challenges, and drive the Club forward. The GM will build upon the Club’s current foundations, implement the newly updated 5-year strategic plan, and look for opportunities to further enhance the Club’s position.
The GM’s primary goal is to ensure a sustainable and vibrant Club into the future – delivering a great Membership experience, building on its financial strength and continuing to bring in new and active Members.
The position of General Manager reports to the Board of Directors and directly manages all department heads, and, indirectly, all employees of the Club.
Job tasks and responsibilities
- Lead, in conjunction with the Board, the development of the Club’s strategy;
- Lead and oversee the implementation of the Club’s long and short term plans in accordance with its strategy;
- Develop, with Board approval, the operating budget for the Club; and actively monitor, analyze and provide strategic solutions to ensure adherence to agreed budget;
- Hold full P&L responsibility for the Club with a focus on performance, revenue creation and cost optimization;
- Oversee all operational aspects of the Club including, but not limited to, administration, membership, food and beverage, maintenance, golf course and operations;
- Take charge of the acquisition and management of talent including overseeing hiring, terminations, performance development, mentoring, training and retention of key personnel to achieve goals and objectives;
- Ensure effective business processes, internal controls and management information systems are in place to enable the Club to conduct its activities efficiently;
- Ensure that the Club maintains high standards of corporate citizenship and social responsibility wherever it does business;
- Assess the principal risks of the Club and ensure that these risks are being monitored and managed;
- Keep abreast of all material undertakings and activities of the Club and all material external factors affecting the Club, with the ability to strategize and suggest innovative opportunities to capitalize on trends and mitigate risks;
- Communicate effectively with Members, employees, golfing organisations, other stakeholders and the public;
- Develop and maintain high employee morale, lead by example, remain open to feedback and learning;
- Ensure that the Board is appropriately informed on a regular and timely basis (monthly and as needed basis) with sufficient information in agreed upon report format;
- Take pride in representing the club, interacting with the Members, and maintaining a keen, friendly and professional social presence;
- Ensure the integrity of all public disclosure by the Club;
- Perform at the highest level of accountability in crisis management situations as necessary and appropriate;
- In concert with the Captain, develop Board agendas; request that special meetings of the Board be called when appropriate; determine the date, time and location of the annual meeting of Members;
- Sit on committees of the Board where appropriate as determined by the Board; and
- Conduct all business lawfully and ethically and in compliance with internally established control systems, authorities, Club standards and in line with environmental, safety and health policies.
Skills and experience
- Commercial and senior management experience – minimum of 5 years as a General Manager, preferably in a hospitality related business
- Proven leadership qualities – overseeing senior managers and sizeable teams
- Previous responsibility for full P&L
- Strong business acumen with strategic focus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of the Club sporting culture (direct golf industry experience not necessary)
Job benefits and perks
This is a full-time position and ability to work weekends and several evenings during each month is essential.
Attractive remuneration package will be offered commensurate with background and experience.
Please send your resume along with a one page summary of the three key attributes you would bring to the Huntingdale Golf Club to Captain at: